Field Trips & Classroom Visits
Nature Center Field Trip (Self-Directed)
Get outdoors with your class! Take a self-guided tour through the Nature Center, botanic garden, and nature trail at your own leisure. Enrich your field trip experience further by scheduling a Naturalist-guided hike or an Animal Ambassador Presentation for an extra fee.
Availability: Wednesday - Friday, year round.
Duration: Varies; visits typically last from one to three hours.
Pricing: Field Trip only: $4/student; chaperones are free. At least one chaperone per five students is required.
- Add a Naturalist-guided hike (~45 minutes): $30
- Add an Animal Ambassador presentation (~30 minutes): $30
- Add a seasonal Nature Hunt activity (self-directed): $15
Nature Immersion Field Trip (Guided)
Take advantage of all that the Sunriver Nature Center has to offer by scheduling a full immersion experience and field trip for your class! Your field trip experience will be geared to the topic of your choice (see below), aligning with Oregon Core Teaching Standards for science, grades K - 8. Each field trip includes a guided visit to the Nature Center, a live Animal Ambassador encounter, and a Naturalist-guided outdoor hike.
Choose from the following topics for your visit:
- Life in Cold Blood: Explore the lives of the Nature Center's ectothermic residents - including snakes, frogs, and salamanders. You'll learn about their specialized life cycles and adaptations that allow them to survive in their unique environments.
- Tracking the Wild Beast: Step into the wild! Learn how to track animals through careful observation of the environment. Students will investigate physical differences among a variety of local animals and learn to interpret animal behavior to better understand how animals interact with their environment.
- Birds of Prey: Discover the unique characteristics of owls, eagles, hawks, and falcons and the special adaptations that make them excellent predators. Meet a live raptor and discover what owls eat!
- Pond Study: Become a wetland scientist! Dip into the wet world of watersheds, ponds, and other wetland areas through hands-on investigation and sampling to learn about local pond ecosystems.
Availability: Wednesday - Friday, September - November and April - May
Duration: Programs last approximately two hours. Please feel free to enjoy the Nature Center and trails before and after your visit.
Pricing: $200/program; maximum of 35 students. Include Nature Center admission.
Traveling Trunk & Naturalist Classroom Visit
Engage your students all week long in your classroom with a traveling trunk filled with educational and fun nature-themed activities and a visit from a Naturalist! Each traveling trunk contains a teacher's activity guide, touchable biofacts, and other hands-on educational materials for your students. Activities are led by you at your class' leisure throughout the week. To wrap up a week of memorable activities, a Nature Center Naturalist will visit your class with a live Animal Ambassador related to your trunk.
Choose from the following Traveling Trunks:
- Sky-High Predators
- Scales, Tails & Claws
- Animal Adaptations
- Buzz about Bees
- Splash! Life in a Pond
Availability: Year round
Duration: Traveling Trunks are delivered to your school on Friday and picked up during the scheduled Naturalist visit on the following Friday. The Naturalist and Animal Ambassador visit lasts approximately 45 minutes.
Pricing: $150 for a 2-week Trunk rental and one Naturalist visit. Additional mileage fees will be applied to school visits outside of a 25 mile radius of Sunriver.
Animal Ambassador Classroom Visit
Schedule a special appearance by one of Sunriver Nature Center's very own resident animal ambassadors to your classroom or auditorium!Each Animal Ambassador Appearance includes a knowledgeable Nature Center Naturalist that will engage your class in an educational, entertaining, and most of all, memorable experience. Each classroom visit will allow plenty of time for questions from your students. Select raptors (e.g., owl, hawk, or eagle), reptiles, and amphibians are available for visits and the Nature Center team will work with you to choose the right Ambassador Animal for your lesson.
Availability: Year round
Duration: Approximately 45 minutes
Pricing: $80 per visit. Multiple animals can be for arranged for an additional fee. Additional mileage fees will be applied to school visits outside of a 25 mile radius of Sunriver.
Financial Assistance & Scholarships
Reservations & Cancellation Policy
Reservations are recommended at least one month prior to your requested visit/program date. Reservations can be made up to three months in advance. All reservations require a 50% deposit or credit card number. Field trip visits or program cancelled with less than two weeks notice will forfeit the deposit. If a program or field trip visit is cancelled due to inclement weather, Nature Center staff will work with you to reschedule or issue a full refund.